HTTP to HTTPS
HTTP stands for hypertext transfer protocol. Its a protocol which allows communication between different systems. It is mainly used for transferring data from a web server to a browser in-order to view web pages.
In HTTP data does not get encrypted and thus it can be intercepted by any third party easily thereby they can get access to the data being passed between the two systems.
The solution to this issue is HTTPS which is a secure version of HTTP where “S” stands for secure. It uses an SSL certificate ie a Secure Socket Layer which created a secure encrypted connection between the web server and the web browser.
HTTPS is very much crucial for website where sensitive data is passed across the connection. eCommerce sites prefer HTTPS as they deal which online card payments, another area that require HTTPS include login areas that require user to enter their credentials.
Process of switching from HTTP to HTTPS include the following steps :-
- Purchase an SSL certificate and dedicated IP address.
- Install and configure the SSL certificate.
- Take back up of the entire site.
- Change hard internal links within the site from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Update code libraries and any third party plugins.
- Redirect external links such as directory listings to HTTPS.
- Update htaccess applications like Apache Web to redirect HTTP traffic to HTTPS
- If any content delivery network (CDN) is being used , its SSL settings has to be updated.
- Implement the 301 redirects on per page basis.
- Update any links that are present like email links
- Update any landing pages and paid search links.
- Set up an HTTPS site in Google Search Console and Google Analytics